Nombre: Jenn
Ubicación: Las Matas de Farfan, Dominican Republic

In May 2005, I graduated from Carroll College with a B.A. in History and a minor in Anthropology. As useful as my majors are, I'm working in Agriculture with the Peace Corps in the Dominican Republic!

27 octubre 2006

Development in the DR

Hey Everybody!

So, I know, it's been almost 2 months. I feel like I've been too busy to write, but at the same time, I have nothing to write about! Mom was here for three weeks. We spent a lot of time sitting in the campo staring at each other, but it was fun. It was nice to have someone to share my house with besides Rubio. Who, by the way, is HUGE, and no longer has balls. He lightens my life in ways that no Dominican ever will when I'm having an awful day and want to have someone cheer me up.

I'm finding out that sustainable development work is actually much harder then I've ever thought. Now, I'm one to just go with the flow. I delagate reponsabilities, and hope that everything falls into place. My project here is to develop a community tree nursery to help reforest the area and create an income generation project for the community as well. So, I formed committee from the men's association, we decided what we wanted and needed in the vivero, and we set a date to clean the parcel where we wanted to put the vivero. We decided to use money from the association to buy the wire and posts for the parcel, so we could plant in November. The day before the clean up day, more than half the men decided that they didn't want to use the money from the association to pay for this, because they thought that I had all the money waiting to make this vivero. First off, Peace Corps doesn't have the money, and secondly, neither do I personally! So our day was cancelled, and there is a tiny rift in the association for the maldito vivero.

What did I learn from this: Dominicans are cheap. Now I don't want to sound negative, because there is not a lot of money in the country to begin with. But with the money that the vivero will hopefully produce, the men will have more than enough money to replace what we are going to spend now. And, in many developing countries, the people are accustomed to having projects given to them. Many large companies DO have the money for projects for communities, but Peace Corps doesn't and I thought that I had made it clear in the community, but apparently I didn't.

When I have bad days, or weeks, like the one above, I remember that I have Rubio sitting at home waiting for me. And, I have an announcement to make: I am the pround parent of a beautiful rubia Puppy. Her name is Mariposa (butterfly). I love her. Her and Rubio are good friends. We spend a lot of time hanging out and playing together. They are very good models for the camera. Be expecting a calendar soon.

I want to hear about you guys back home! Or wherever you are. I also want to know who's next on the visit list. Christmas break is coming up and I hear December in the DR is a riot. Also, Spring Break plans need to be made. I know you all have vacation days staring you in the face!! Come to the DR!!